What Makes A Really Good Beauty Box?

What Makes A Really Good Beauty Box

It may be controversial but I think it’s time to have a little chat about Beauty Boxes…

Rarely do I feature a beauty box on Lady Writes any more. It has to be pretty darn special to earn a place on this blog. And there’s several reasons for this, which we’ll dig in to shortly. But overall, if you see a Beauty Box on Lady Writes then you’ll know it’s a good one. Because this Lady is notoriously hard to please in the beauty box stakes.

Over the years I’ve tried many of the beauty boxes from many of the brands. Bar Birchbox which I’ve never tried, I think I’ve given them a good go and tried *most* that I can think of. I’ve been kindly gifted some and I’ve also spent my own money on them, which means that I feel justified in my opinion.

Overall the concept of a beauty box is no longer new, so to entice me it has to be special. It has to be full of great brands and good product sizes. And the sad truth is that while some do this well, others don’t. And the joy of a pick’n’mix style selection of products means you’re almost always in for a little disappointment because the chances are that you’re unlikely to enjoy everything inside. And I find the monthly subscriptions to be the worst with regards to the sizing – sometimes finding multiple sample sizes and testers for your hard earned £15 or so. I got disillusioned very quickly and I know I’m not the only one.

Are beauty boxes worth it?

Don’t get me wrong, there are some great monthly boxes and I find the themed ones the best, for example Look Fantastic do great themes, their RAW theme recently was fabulous and based on raw/vegan friendly and natural products. Those I quite like. And TILI are another one – the products in their boxes blow me away every time, they fit a theme and they’re always great sizes and great brands. I also like how much make up you find in the Tili boxes as I know usually make up tends to be few and far between in some boxes.

But for me some of the best beauty boxes are the ones from Latest In Beauty because their limited edition collections just hit the nail on the head. They have these boxes stocked full of the best products, the biggest sizes and the brands that actually excite you. And while it’s always nice trying out some new brands, and beauty boxes are a great way of doing this, it’s also nice to find the likes of NARS, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Kiehl’s, Dermalogica and many more inside. Because to me that’s what a good beauty box should have – the brands you aspire to own, the ones that you might not always be able to afford and yet you really want them.

Latest In Beauty seem to nail the Limited Edition boxes better than most. Their recent Fabulous Beauty Awards Box for example (sadly now sold out) was a corker. Over £100 of products for only £25 it had some of my daily staples like my Garnier Micellar Water and one of my favourite brands: Anastasia Beverly Hills. And that’s a brand I’ve never found in a beauty box before, ever.

Latest In Beauty Review
Latest-In-Beauty-Fabulous-Awards-Box

Plus it’s not just that. Unlike anyone else, their monthly subscription means you can pick your own products, which isn’t something that I’d heard of before. Meaning that disappointment you sometimes feel when you open your regular box, won’t be there. And while the surprise element is gone, I’ll take that over knowing I’m getting what I really want each month. It wins hands down for me.

They do seasonal edits too which are stocked full of essentials and they do these boxes where I seriously can’t work out how they can deliver such good value! (Check out my post on how £28 got me over £124 worth of goodies last month.) Their boxes excite me. And while other brands do get things right as well (Advent Calendars, seasonal specials etc) I can say with certainty that if I was going to look for a new beauty box, Latest in Beauty would be one of the first places I’d look.

What Makes A Really Good Beauty Box?

(Photography by Kaye Ford.)

**This post contains some gifted items but as ever all opinions are entirely my own. Links may be affiliate links. Please refer to my Disclaimer page for more details.

17 Comments

1. Sarah
    June 10, 2019 / 12:24 pm

I have the look fantastic one but when it runs out on a few months I will be looking for a different one xx

2. June 10, 2019 / 12:54 pm

These photos are lovely! I’ve not tried many beauty boxes and I’ve never subscribed to one but I loved the Latest in Beauty box I was sent. I loved being able to pick out my own products!

3. Katy
    June 10, 2019 / 1:05 pm

Loved this post! I’ve just cancelled my Glossybox so I’m on the hunt for a new beauty box haha x

• June 18, 2019 / 1:24 am

I feel the same way about subscription boxes, it’s rare they’re that exciting these days and i have very sensitive skin so a box full of the unknown is a bit of a gamble for me anyway. I love the thought that goes into the limited edition boxes, it always feels more exciting and worth a splurge x

Sophie

4. June 10, 2019 / 8:11 pm

I subscribe to LiB myself and their collections are usually FAB! Beauty boxes are how I got into blogging but I have swapped and changed a fair bit and the ones I currently subscribe to are my favourites. Two of them are Korean products/sheetmasks based, and natural products from the LoveLula beauty box. A lot of the others have become very samey and predictable. 🙂

Sarah 🌺 || Boxnip || Latest Post

5. Erin
    June 10, 2019 / 8:56 pm

Ooooo what a cute little box!

Erin || MakeErinOver

6. June 11, 2019 / 8:51 am

To be honest, there has never been one that I thought I have to have that.

7. Roxie Watt
    June 11, 2019 / 5:02 pm

Tilli and Latest in Beauty are my two absolute favourites. I also like when Look Fantastic or Glossybox have limited edition collections too.

8. June 12, 2019 / 12:51 pm

I love subscription boxes! My fave is definitely the lookfantastic box

9. June 12, 2019 / 5:24 pm

You’ve absolutely hit the nail on the head here as to why I stopped my monthly subscription boxes!
    I was gutted that the Fabulous Beauty Awards Box sold out before I got my paws on it, I’ve been meaning to try the ABH pomade forever!

(& if it helps, I also know if it’s a Lady Writes approved box, it’s gonna be a good ‘en!)

10. June 13, 2019 / 10:26 am

I gave up on beauty boxes a long time ago, because I was only ever in them for the makeup and you’re right – it’s always few and far between. And while I like the element of surprise too much to ever want to pick all the products in a box, they’d definitely have to be far more curated to get me back in the game.

I’d love to see a line of beauty boxes curated by my favourite bloggers, I’d sign up for that. Somebody get on the Lady Writes box, please!

Lis / last year’s girl x

11. June 14, 2019 / 10:29 am

Ooh this looks awesome! 🙂 I’ve never actually subscribed to a beauty box, I’m trying to cut down on the amount of products etc I have so I’m using bits up and then only repurchasing the ones I really like. xx

Jessie | jessie-ann.co.uk

12. June 16, 2019 / 6:34 pm

I’ve never subscribed as I know there’s always going to be products in them that I’d never use. I did get both of hte Caroline Hirons boxes…that woman is amazing!
    Em x

13. June 20, 2019 / 10:56 pm

Picking your own products is such a good idea