Every year on January 1st I get a new jar or box and decorate it to make it look pretty (because, well, why not?) Inside I keep something very precious - my list of hopes, dreams and goals for the year. Once I've written them, I fold the paper over and tie it with ribbon and pop it in the jar or box. I then don't open it until the next January 1st - even if I really want to.
The idea is that over the year, I add little notes to my jar or box with all of the things that I want to remember. I only write a line or two per note, and once it goes into the jar, it doesn't come out until the next year. I do this because I like to keep mementos and to remember things that have marked my year. It's also really fun to look back over the year and see how many of my goals and hopes were achieved with my little memento notes. I guess it's my version of New Year Resolutions etc?!
So, I've been thinking about what to write for my 2016 hopes/goals/bucket list. Seeing as last year was quite pants, I'm hoping for a better 2016! So far my list contains the following:
1. I want to get a promotion at work. I know that is quite generic and boring, but hear me out! I'm a Social Media Manager and I love working in marketing. I will have worked at my current company for a year in June, so I'm hoping that by Christmas I've been able to move up the ranks a notch.
2. I have a very small tattoo on my wrist. It's very personal and sentimental to me. I'm not big on tattoos, but this one has special meaning. This year I want to get one more (and it will also be my last). Again, the new one I want will be very personal too.
3. I want to buy a Mulberry handbag this year! Yes, superficial I know. But hey, the heart wants what the heart wants! Now just to decide on the colour...tan is looking likely.
4. I want to watch the sunset on a boat in the ocean next year... I did it this year while on holiday and it was the most beautiful and precious moment. I want to do it again and make a fresh memory this year with new company - you know who you are.
5. I want to be brave enough to cut my hair short again! I have long hair now but I do love a good short bob. I've had one before and I loved it, but for some reason I'm too chicken to do it again! This is the year. I hope..
6. I want to visit five new places by the end of the year. They have to be places that I've never been before, one of which has to be the city of York. I just really want to go there!
7. Meet up with my blogger friends! Some of my closest friends are lovely ladies I've met through blogging and since I relaunched my blog this autumn, I've made some more amazing bloggy friends. I want 2016 to be the year I meet up with them - they know who they are!
8. See my blog continue to grow. I'm overwhelmed at how my blog is growing and I feel so encouraged with every comment and mention that I get. I pour my heart and soul into my blog and I would love to see it grow, and continue to be enjoyed by others in 2016.
9. I know we've only just celebrated this Christmas, but my aim for next Christmas is to make #ladywritessecretsanta even bigger and better - I've already got ideas of how to do this!
10. Drink more water. This is a big one. With my migraines easily set off by dehydration, I need to drink far more water than I do. I ended up in hospital with my migraines this year and I don't want that to happen again. So drinking water - and less caffeine is a practical aim for 2016.
11. There's two blog posts that I really want to write this year - both are very close to my heart and I just haven't plucked up the courage to write them yet. One is about my struggle with depression and the other is about my life with PCOS.
12. I want to raise money for an autistic charity this year, I just don't know how or which one!
13. My heart was broken in 2015. And yet, the romantic in me still believes and hopes in love. I hope this year marks a special love in my life.
14. Sort my garden out. I'm not remotely green fingered and my garden can sometimes resemble a jungle, so my aim is to make it as pretty as possible and hopefully enjoy the process too...okay, maybe enjoying it is a bit too much of stretch. But at least practically sort it out.
So this my bucket list for 2016. What does your list include?
Oh, and, Happy New Year!